top of page

Do I need planning permission?

Outbuildings are considered to be permitted development, not needing planning permission, subject to the following limits and conditions:

  • No outbuilding on land forward of a wall forming the principal elevation.

  • Outbuildings and garages to be single storey with maximum eaves height of 2.5 metres and maximum overall height of four metres with a dual pitched roof or three metres for any other roof.

  • Maximum height of 2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container within two metres of a boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse.

  • Outbuildings must not exceed 50% of the total area of land around the original house.

  • No verandas, balconies or raised platforms (a platform must not exceed 0.3 metres in height)

  • No more than half the area of land around the "original house"* would be covered by additions or other buildings.

  • In National Parks, the Broads, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty and World Heritage Sites the maximum area to be covered by buildings, enclosures, containers and pools more than 20 metres from the house to be limited to 10 square metres.

  • On designated land* buildings, enclosures, containers and pools at the side of properties will require planning permission.

  • Within the curtilage of listed buildings any outbuilding will require planning permission.


*The term "original house" means the house as it was first built or as it stood on 1 July 1948 (if it was built before that date). Although you may not have built an extension to the house, a previous owner may have done so.

*Designated land includes national parks and the Broads, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty, conservation areas and World Heritage Sites.

Please note: The permitted development allowances described here apply to houses and not to flats, maisonettes or other buildings.  Permitted development may also be restricted by planning conditions or covenants affecting your property.

Further information can be found at

Information is given in all good faith. Rules and regulations are suggested but not limited to the above. 

Will my garden studio be subject to Building Regulations?

Garden rooms are exempt from building regulations if:

  • The internal floor area is 15 square metres or less, if within 1 metre of any boundary

  • or the internal floor area 30 square metres or less, if more than 1 metre from any boundary.

Further information can be found at

Information is given in all good faith. Rules and regulations are suggested but not limited to the above.

Can I run a water supply to my garden studio?

The running of water to your garden studio within permitted development very much depends on proving that the use of the garden studio and its subsequent water supply are incidental to the activities of the main habitable dwelling.  Examples of this could be a particular hobby and/or activity not conducted within the house.

What is included within your quotation?

We work alongside associated trades and provide a complete package to suit our clients, including but not limited to:

  • Scaffolding

  • Groundworks and foundations

  • Electrical works

  • Insulation

  • Flooring

  • Guttering

  • Doors and Windows

  • First and second fix carpentry

  • Plastering

  • Decorating

Our garden studios are individually tailored to your specifications and budget.

What are your payment terms?

Our payment terms are 7 days from date of invoice.  It may be necessary to request a deposit and stage payments for larger projects, but this will be agreed with the client prior to commencement of work.



Do you offer a Guarantee?

Yes.  We offer a 10 year structural guarantee for our garden rooms and studios.  Please see our guarantee page for further information.

Are you insured?

Yes.  We hold Public Liability Insurance for up to £10 million.

bottom of page